Philly Cheesesteak Grilled Cheese
Ever want a Philly cheese steak for breakfast but couldn’t justify it? Well, This Philly cheesesteak grilled cheese may be the perfect excuse. This sandwich is part grilled cheese, part Philly cheesesteak, and fully delicious. Not only does it taste good, it’s also well balanced! Okay okay, that may be a stretch, but the deliciousness outweighs the fact that it’s covered in cheese.
There are a few steps to prepare this delicious philly cheese steak grilled cheese sandwich. We can break this into 3 easy steps: butter the toast, grate the cheese, and cut the meat and onions. But before we start any of this, you’ll want to freeze your steak for about 2 hours. This will make the steak easier to cut into thin slices.
Buttering the bread is obviously the most important part of any grilled cheese sandwich because is gives that authentic greasiness and buttery taste. The first step is to have some room temperature butter that you can easily spread. If you do not have any softened butter, you can put some butter in a plastic bag, take out all the air, and then submerge it in lukewarm water until it’s soft enough to spread.
Once you have soft butter, you will take a generous amount and butter one side of 2 pieces of toast. Now set them to the side while you prep the meat, onion, and cheese.
Cut your steak into as thin pieces as possible and set aside. Now cut the onions into thin slithers.
In a large saute pan, add in 1 Tbs of olive oil and heat to a medium high temperature. Now add in the steak and let it cook through. The next step is to add in onions to the hot skillet and mix them around with the steak. Once the onions are caramelized,add in about half of the cheese and mix it all together. Now remove the steak and onion from the pan.
In a clean pan, heat it up to a medium heat. Now, butter side down, put in both pieces of bread into the hot saute pan. Add the grated cheese to the top of both sides of the Philly cheesesteak grilled cheese bread. Add the mixture of steak and onion to the top of one of the pieces. Allow the Philly cheesesteak grilled cheese to cook for about 1 minute. Now, place the other piece of bread on top of the steak and onion. Press the sandwich down with the back of a spatula.
Let the Philly cheesesteak grilled cheese to cook until the underside is nice and golden brown. Now flip the sandwich and cook the other side.
Serve with ketchup and plenty of napkins.
|Philly Cheesesteak Grilled Cheese
- ½ lb Ribeye Steak (any steak will work)
- 1 small onion (½ medium onion)
- 1 TBS olive oil
- 2 tsp Black Pepper
- 1 tsp Salt
- ½ cup Shredded Provolone Cheese
- 2 TBS butter
- 4 slices of bread
- Freeze the ribeye and allow to thaw for 2 hours then slice into thin pieces
- Butter the pieces of bread on 1 side
- In a medium saute pan, heat the olive oil and add in the steak pieces
- Sprinkle the pepper and salt on top of the steak
- Brown the steak pieces on both sides
- Add the cheese into the steak and allow to melt
- Remove steak from the heat and place in the bread butter side down
- Evenly split the steak onto 2 of the bread pieces and place the empty pieces on top
- When bread is golden, flip the sandwich and allow other side to brown
- Remove from heat and serve with ketchup