Crispy Asparagus Fries
This is a great recipe to mix it up a little bit from conventional french fries and they are a little bit healthier too ;). These are definitely a snack that you need to try and like all the recipes on this site, they are easy to make.
As with all fruit and vegetables, the first step will be to thoroughly wash the asparagus stalks and dry them with a paper towel. Once you have clean asparagus you are going to cut off the bottom 2-3 inches of each stalk because the bottom of the asparagus stalk tends to be tough and not as tasty.
Now that the asparagus is prepped, it’s time to prep the eggs, flour, and bread crumbs that will be used to coat the asparagus. To make the crispy asparagus you are going to follow the basic steps as almost all fried foods: an egg wash, flour coating, back in the egg wash, then a final bread crumb coating. In our case the Bread crumb coating is 3/4 cups of panko bread crumbs and a 1/2 cup of fresh grated Parmesan cheese.
Fry and Serve
Once you have the asparagus fries coated in the Parmesan and panko mixture, it’s time to send them to the hot oil for frying. Because asparagus is relatively thin they don’t take too long too cook and are finished as soon as the crust is a nice golden brown.
Most note worthy about this recipe is that it’s almost like an Asian infused American dish, hence it taste good with just about any dipping sauces. A few things you can try are: Ranch, a cocktail sauce (Ketchup and horseradish), or just plain ketchup
|Crispy Asparagus Fries|| |
- 1 lb asparagus
- 1 cup flour
- 3 eggs beaten
- ¾ cups panko Bread crumbs
- ½ cup fresh grated Parmesan
- Salt and Pepper to Taste
- Preheat oil in a frying pan
- Mix panko bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese
- Clean and dry asparagus then cut approximately 2 inches from the bottom
- One at a time, dip the asparagus into the the egg wash then into the flour
- Do this for all the pieces
- Dip the asparagus back into the egg wash followed a mixture of panko bread crumbs and fresh Parmesan cheese
- Place the fry into the oil until golden brown
- Serve with ketchup, or ranch, or a cocktail sauce