It may be a warm winter, but right now it’s cold outside. This Asparagus soup is a really great recipe to cook when it’s nice and cold outside; just like right now. It will keep you warm and satisfy all of your cravings. The best part of this asparagus soup is that it’s so easy and all of the spices are just added by taste add the end
This first step is extremely simple because all you have to do is cut the asparagus into 3 sections: the end, the stalk, and the tips. You cut the ends of the asparagus about 2 inches from the bottoms then throw the ends into the trash. Then cut the tips of the asparagus about 2 inches from the top.
Take the asparagus stalks from the previous step and boil them in 3 cups of chicken broth for about 10 mins. If you have thicker asparagus, you will want to boil them a little bit longer. But you will know that they are done because you will be easily able to insert a fork into them.
In a saucepan, add 1 tablespoon of olive oil and heat until the olive oil flows freely across the pan when agitated. Then add asparagus tips and saute until lightly caramelized. Once the tips are lightly caramelized, remove from the heat and set aside.
Once the asparagus stalks have been boiled and are nice and soft, add them into a blender and puree until completely smooth. This step of making the asparagus soup should only take about 1 minute. Now, add in 1 cup of heavy cream and briefly stir until the cream is well combined.
Add the puree back into the pot and bring to a light simmer. Now, sift in the 2 tablespoons of flour and whisk until smooth. Once the flour is incorporated into the asparagus soup, add in the 4 ounces of grated cheese and whisk until smooth. Allow the mixture to simmer for about 1 minute, then add in the asparagus tips.
The asparagus soup is served great with fresh bread, cheese, or additional sauteed asparagus on top of the mixture.
|Asparagus soup|| |
- 1 lb asparagus
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 4 oz grated sharp cheddar
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 TBS of flour
- pepper to taste
- cut off the ends and the tips of the asparagus (throw the ends away)
- add 3 cups of chicken broth to a pot and bring to a boil, then add asparagus stalks and boil for 10 minutes
- Heat a saute pan and add 1 Tbs of olive oil, then add in the asparagus tips
- saute until slightly caramelized, then remove from heat
- Remove the chicken broth and asparagus stalks from the heat and put into a blender
- puree until smooth, then add in 1 cup of heavy cream and blend
- bring the mixture back to the stove until it starts simmering
- add in 2 tablespoons of flour then whisk
- add in cheese and whisk until smooth
- Bring the mixture back to a simmer then add in asparagus tips
- serve with cheese on top and freshly grated black pepper